I do not remember New Year's Eve being super-special while growing up in California. Or even, really, as a young woman. Perhaps that is something that has changed there in SLO. I was reminded today, while reading our local newspaper, that different cities and areas (not to mention countries!) celebrate things differently. Around here they like to drop things (I blame the Big Apple and Dick Clark for being bad influences.)
Just a few tidbits to share with you out-of-towners:
Hershey - well, of course, we drop a giant Kiss here. There is a big street-party with food and family-friendly fun and music. I haven't been because I can't get past that "it'll be 30 degrees tonight, folks, so bundle up!" weather report. And that is not counting the windchill. With the way my eyes water in the least bit of wind/cold, people would think I was crying uncontrollably and I couldn't see a thing.
Hummelstown - a lollipop drop. There is a place that makes candy in the small borough of Hummelstown. I think this one is pretty cute. When I hear the word, "lollipop", though, the munchkins always start singing in my head. So annoying.
Carlisle - a miniature Indy Race car. I suppose this makes sense to them as there is a racetrack up there somewhere, although I've never been. It seems to me they should drop an Indy race car in Indianapolis. Carlisle is home to the Army War College. Now, they could come up with something interesting to drop...
Lower Allen Township - Yellow Britches. This makes sense only if you are local, and even then it is weird. The Yellow Breeches is a creek that runs through the township. And why is it yellow? I've not dared to ask an authority.
Shippensburg - an Anchor.
Mechanicsburg - a Wrench.
Cleona - Pretzel. I think there is a little pretzel factory there.
My two favorites:
Dillsburg - a Pickle. A PICKLE! Why that is so funny, I don't know. But I laugh every time I think of it. That is worth a lot.
Lebanon - a Bologna. And then they donate it to a food bank, so it is a real, twelve-foot bologna. !
What, if anything, does your town do?
Hi Sheila - I read this on New Year's Eve but didn't have time to comment. We had a really exciting evening. At 9PM we watched the ball drop in New York City on TV. It is the international sign of the new year so once it dropped there was really no reason to stay up until midnight(that's what we told the kids before we made them go to sleep). What a bunch of old fuddy duddys we are.
ReplyDeleteWe did have a great time laughing about all the things that get dropped on midnight. We decided that if Creston was to drop something it would not be pretty. A big cow pattie would have to be it.
Hope you have a Happy New Year!