Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Let's Get Fit!!

As an almost-50-year-old woman, I have been increasingly aware of the bad habits I have in my life, and the possible (and often probable) results of those habits. I enjoy life, and desire to enjoy it for many years to come. Therefore, as part of a Fitness class that I am taking through our local Community College (go HACC!) I want to share what I am learning, and commit to some healthy changes.
It doesn't take much searching on the internet, or in a Fitness Class Text book, to find a listing of the

Five Components of physical fitness.
  1. Cardiovascular Endurance. In our book, "Fit & Well, Core Concepts and Labs in Physical Fitness and Wellness," by Thomas D. Fahey, Paul M. Insel and Walton T. Roth, this is referred to as Cardiorespiratory Endurance. Regardless of the exact terminology, it is the ability of the heart and lungs to work together to supply blood and oxygen. For me, if I cannot run a mile without falling on my face, gasping for breath, I don't qualify as being fit in this category. In order to increase your cardiovascular endurance, you need to get your heart rate to 65 to 95% of your maximum heart rate*, and keep it there for at least 20 minutes. And you need to do that at least 3 days a week. (*To get your maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220, and multiply by .90. So for me, 220 -49 = 171. 171 x .90 = 154. My heart rate needs to be at least 100, up to 163.)
  2. Muscular Strength. The ability of your muscles to move things; weights, toddlers, yourself. Personally, my inability to do a chin-up tells me I need to be stronger. Two days a week doing a program with one or more sets of 8 to 10 reps of 8-10 different exercises is recommended.
  3. Muscular Endurance. Being able to tax your muscles for an extended amount of time. Sit-ups are often used to test this component. I can do pretty well on this one, but I'd like to be able to do 100. The FIT (Frequency, Intensity, Time) recommendations are the same as those for Muscular Strength. Resting time should be factored in as well - 48 hours between sessions working the same body parts.
  4. Flexibility. This is the ability of a joint to move through its normal, full range of motion. A sit-and-reach test is often used here. Again, I do pretty well with this one, as I can reach past my toes. But, this is something that decreases with age, and so I need to do more stretching. This will also help keep me from injuring myself. FIT recommendations are the same as above. It should be noted that static stretches should be held for 10 to 20 seconds.
  5. Body Composition. You want more muscle than fat. Again, I do ok here, but strictly (in my opinion) because my weight is reasonable. I feel better, have more endurance and my clothes fit better when I am more muscular. And the fat is just too scared by my stud-muffin self to stick.
Now, this is a lot of information. However, being physically fit does not mean that you are well.
Being a well person encompasses many things; in fact, there are

Six Dimensions of Wellness.

  • Physical
  • Emotional
  • Intellectual
  • Interpersonal
  • Spiritual
  • Environmental
Physical Wellness
The more physically fit you are, the more physically well. Being fit helps stave off disease, increases your ability to care for yourself (even as you age), and helps keep you from getting injured.
Emotional Wellness
Being emotionally well means that you have the ability to deal with your feelings, and understand them. You can deal with emotional problems, getting help if necessary.
Intellectual Wellness
Striving to always be learning, exercising your brain, being open to new challenges signals Intellectual Wellness.
Interpersonal Wellness
This could be described as social wellness - the ability to interact with others. People need social interaction to be healthy. We need satisfying and supportive relationships.
Spiritual Wellness
Being spiritually well means you have some guiding belief(s) in your life. Taking time to center yourself, and focusing on the positive rather than the negative. It is knowing that even if you can't change something, you can always change your attitude.
Environmental Wellness
We can't always change our entire environment, but usually we can control some part of it. We often have a choice of where we live - and we can choose a place with clean air, clean water and environmentally sound practices. We can be environmentally aware and behave accordingly.

My Fitness Plan

Long-term/general goals:
  • Enter menopause as healthy and fit as I can, to minimize its impact on my life.
  • Lower my risk of injury and illness.
  • Raise my activity level.
Short-term/specific goals:
  • Get my weight to 110 lbs.
  • Be able to do a chin-up.
  • Jog for 3 miles without falling down, gasping for air like a mackeral on a boat deck.
  • Impress my husband with how good my legs look.
To reach my goals, I plan to:
  • Use http://www.caloriecountabout.com/ to help track my intake of calories. This will also help me track whether or not I am making good food choices.
  • Do strength training 2 days per week.
  • Do stretching work 20 minutes at least 2 days per week.
  • Do cardio work 3 days per week. This can include using the treadmill at home, walking/jogging outside, biking outside or stationary bike at the gym, and the elliptical machine at the gym.
I will continue doing little things to increase my activity level: parking far away from where I am going to have a nice walk, walking the dog, aerobically mowing the lawn, taking the stairs. The above plan shall be re-evaluated every 2 weeks. The CalorieCount website also has an activity log that I can use to keep track of my workouts and other activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment